POSITION: Development Manager – Staunton/Charlottesville
Scope: The Elk Hill Development team is responsible for 1.4 million fund development goal, marketing, public relations, reputation management and communications for the agency. Overall development strategies include a focus on major gifts, alongside an annual campaign, a grants program and public awareness, stewardship and cultivation events. This position is responsible for developing and managing projects and initiatives that will help expand and sustain regional fund development programs for Elk Hill, Inc.
Duties: Essential Functions: (Essential functions may include but are not limited to the functions listed below.)
Individual Donor Management
- Manage existing portfolio of 30-40 donors and prospects in Charlottesville and Staunton region
- Work with the development department to align efforts and set goals
- Create and implement moves management plans
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications)
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition
- Track and report progress using specific metric
- Updates and maintains donor records and notes in RE
- In conjunction with DOD and other team members, create and manage the timeline, program and task list for cultivation and stewardship events in the Staunton and Charlottesville region
- Lead all event planning and production meetings and discussions
- Coordinate in partnership with Development Coordinator vendor relationships
- Organizes and manage the invitation, registration and attendee check-in processes.
- With DOD and other volunteers develop and coordinate follow up activities with guests.
- Manages grant program for region: coordinates with Director of Development and leadership staff to establish program needs and funding targets, develop and submit grant proposals and reports, and maintaining foundation, public and corporate relations
- Manages the tracking systems for grants, including proposal and report calendars and cultivation and stewardship systems and processes
- Responsible for researching and securing new corporate, foundations and government grants to support current and future operational and programmatic needs.
- Builds collaborative working relationship with program staff to capitalize on grants and cultivation opportunities
- Support the Executive Director, Director of Development in the coordination of special campaigns within Elk Hill
- Manages prospect research, as well as, the identification, cultivation and stewardship of prospects
- Manages campaign related scheduling and activities for staff and volunteers
- Coordinates the gift solicitation efforts of the Board of Directors and other volunteer solicitors
- Works with DOD and Development Coordinator to plan, prepare and implement mailings, acknowledgements, and invoicing for campaign activities
- In conjunction with DOD plans and implements cultivation and stewardship events in Goochland & Richmond
- Works with other DOD and vendors to create and produce campaign related materials
- Works with Development Coordinator to ensure reports are generated to ensure that goals are being met
- Inputs information into Raiser’s Edge database
- Provides Elk Hill staff support to select committees
- Maintains a visible presence at Elk Hill related events and cultivation events as appropriate
- Serves as point of contact and assists other Elk Hill staff with coordinating volunteer activities across in the region.
- Maintains and manages relationships with current corporate volunteer partners.
- Support donor communications program including print and electronic newsletters, annual report, website, social media, event invitations, and other collateral materials
- Participates in the creation of the development department’s annual plans and budgets including management goals, strategic objectives, income goals, and goal measurement
- Assist with special projects as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by DOD.
SUPERVISION: The position reports directly to the Director of Development
- This is a remote position that will spend 75-80% of their time covering the assigned territory of Charlottesville and Staunton
- 20-25% between Richmond and Goochland required for special campaign related events, and staff meetings.
- Work is performed in a fast-paced environment.
- Attendance and participation at events and activities will be expected outside of normal office hours and on weekends with advance notice.
- Elk Hill strives to create an environment that practices shared values inclusive of the following: Mutual Respect, Empathy, Integrity, Transparency, Trust, Insistence on Excellence, Hunger for Success, Passion, Creativity and Fun.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of experience and education
- 2+ years of relevant fundraising experience or equivalent combination of other relevant experience
- Located in Staunton/ Charlottesville
Skills and Experience:
- Must be well-organized, detail-oriented, result-oriented, proactive, productive, quick, intelligent, cheerful, cooperative, polished, intuitive, and empathetic
- Experience working as part of a team with a history of work in fast-paced, ever-changing fundraising environment
- Outstanding interpersonal, written & verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills including fundraising database experience and knowledge of basic web-based and graphics software
- Other combinations of education/experience appropriate to the job will be considered
- Familiarity with either the Charlottesville or Staunton are philanthropic community
Send resume to [email protected] with subject line Development Manager S/C